Methanol Kit

natas

Well-Known Member
#1
Hi,
I never used methanol in my car before but am keen to learn more about it!

how does it work and where do I get the methanol from?

Can we use race fuel and methanol at the same time?

Thanks
 
#7
The purpose for the methanol kit is to reduce inlet air temps, reduce knock detonation, denser oxygen

A larger inter-cooler is limited to the ambient air temperatures, a aftermarket one is designed to increase the surface area of the air going through it, thus a cooler air charge, more oxygen as the temperatures are lower, but the temperature is limited by the outside temperature and what speed you're going through.

A methanol kit cools the air charge by latent heat of evaporation, which is the water and methanol evaporates in the inlet, thus reducing the heat. On this factor is almost the same as a larger intercooler, but does not require additional aftermarket IC which are heavy. And a meth kit weighs what?, 4-5kg? with meth in it?, and percentage in cooling would be more than a larger IC.

But one is about the methanol kit is knock detonation retard, methanol has a RON rating of about 108 RON, this allows for higher boost levels, and more timing, which in turn produces more power.

So if you're just looking for a reduced air inlet temperatures, then a upgrade over the FMIC would be great, but if you're looking to boost to higher levels, and advanced timing, but having the same drivability, then a methanol kit it great.

The only disadvantage that we have here in Singapore is that we do not have easy access to methanol, in certain states which have large agricultural industries, they have E85 at the pump, which has a ron rating of about 103, enthanol is a byproduct of agriculture, add on a meth kit, the RON rating will hit 110. ( a higher RON rating means the more knock resistant to detonation). which makes methanol cheaper, and more available.

In Singapore it is expensive and hard to source, only chemical companies will provide large amounts of methanol to you, at only 18L. So meth kit for DD? unless you like to boost alot, and your wallet is damn big, and nothing better to do then go for it. If not, in Singapore, the cost outweighs the benefit of a meth kit. If you're dead serious in getting a meth kit for DD, then having a option to turn the kit on and off, and switching between maps, like the Tephra mod for the X would be great.
 
#8
U do not need to run methanol if u r on the stock turbo.
Stock turbo can only give x amount of power

Some concerns-
Imagine using the kit to run higher ignition timing/boost n ur methanol tank is empty or the pump fails = Boomz... Rods comes crashing out
 
#9
Have a 200litres tank of methanol at one of my frequent workshop... Had lobang to get dirt cheap price of good grade meth....

It's a bang for bucks mod....

Few issues gotta take note - cannnot allow ur meth to run out and you are still boosting as tuners normally advance ur car timing which in returns ur engine is generating a lot of heat, if no meth is introduce into it, there goes your engine...... Ensure your meth injectors are in working condition - spraying well.. Kkekeke
 

VBo

Well-Known Member
#10
dvp said:
U do not need to run methanol if u r on the stock turbo.
Stock turbo can only give x amount of power

Some concerns-
Imagine using the kit to run higher ignition timing/boost n ur methanol tank is empty or the pump fails = Boomz... Rods comes crashing out
Ya lor..I had tis concern when I was looking ard, hence, I hesitated..unless got some kinda meters to indicate the amt of methanol in the tank..something like NOS meter, then it's not so bad.. :)
 
#11
VBo said:
dvp said:
U do not need to run methanol if u r on the stock turbo.
Stock turbo can only give x amount of power

Some concerns-
Imagine using the kit to run higher ignition timing/boost n ur methanol tank is empty or the pump fails = Boomz... Rods comes crashing out
Ya lor..I had tis concern when I was looking ard, hence, I hesitated..unless got some kinda meters to indicate the amt of methanol in the tank..something like NOS meter, then it's not so bad.. :)
There are methanol kits that have those floating kits in their meth tanks indicating the amount you left. Actually when you usin it long enough you will know how to estimate the balance liaoz.
 

VBo

Well-Known Member
#12
b^t said:
VBo said:
dvp said:
U do not need to run methanol if u r on the stock turbo.
Stock turbo can only give x amount of power

Some concerns-
Imagine using the kit to run higher ignition timing/boost n ur methanol tank is empty or the pump fails = Boomz... Rods comes crashing out
Ya lor..I had tis concern when I was looking ard, hence, I hesitated..unless got some kinda meters to indicate the amt of methanol in the tank..something like NOS meter, then it's not so bad.. :)
There are methanol kits that have those floating kits in their meth tanks indicating the amount you left. Actually when you usin it long enough you will know how to estimate the balance liaoz.
It's the "trouble" of checking, mixing & topping up the tank..it just takes 1X to forget & there goes everything..perhaps it was my past NOS experience tat detering me fr tis as well..hehe.. :D
 
#13
Been using methanol/water for 2+yrs. So far so good. Just take alook at EGT and you'll know if something is wrong. When the tank hits low level, just drive normally and not to run high boost.
 

natas

Well-Known Member
#14
goready said:
Been using methanol/water for 2+yrs. So far so good. Just take alook at EGT and you'll know if something is wrong. When the tank hits low level, just drive normally and not to run high boost.
where you get your methanol from?
 

Similar threads


Top