fp black

Lmodel

deftouch said:
going for street n drag if possible.. what u guys think? is it a good turbo to use
For street, I think the CBRD gives better response. For drag, the black would be a better choice. I dont think any workshop has done a turbo shootout between this two yet but these are generally the feedbacks I have read.

FP produces good turbo though Owen is another brand you can consider if money is not an issue.

evokch

Lmodel said:
deftouch said:
going for street n drag if possible.. what u guys think? is it a good turbo to use
For street, I think the CBRD gives better response. For drag, the black would be a better choice. I dont think any workshop has done a turbo shootout between this two yet but these are generally the feedbacks I have read.

FP produces good turbo though Owen is another brand you can consider if money is not an issue.
Gurus

What about FP Green and FP Red?

If target is 480 hp on crank, which (i.e. Green, Red or Black) is the best choice?

Is Black considered "overdone" because I have read that it caters to power beyond 500+ hp?

Lmodel

evokch said:
Gurus

If target is 480 hp on crank, which (i.e. Green, Red or Black) is the best choice?

Is Black considered "overdone" because I have read that it caters to power beyond 500+ hp?
The Green is one of the earliest version of turbos and I'm sure there are many Evo VIIIs and IXs still running this turbo.

From what I read, peak boost for Black n the Red doesnt seem to differ much from the graphs so response for both should be about the same. However, Black maintains a better pull at the top end compared to the Red. Henceforth, there are many looking to upgrade their Red to the Black in the US.

From records, the Black can easily attain 500hp on crank and of course, some other mods do play a part as well. For the red, it is still possible to attain 480hp on crank albeit more need to be done.

Cheers

Hi,

I have to agree with Lmodel, for street, the occasional drag & track duties, the CBRD BBK seems to be one of the best options available in the market now. Fast spool, linear delivery across the curve & great (to me that is) figures attained for both power & torque from a direct bolt on turbo. It's a well balanced turbo. But if you are a FP fan then I would recommend the RED over the black, as for a daily driver, I'm not too sure if you can live with the slower spool up for the black as it is touted more to be a drag strip turbo than a high powered bolt on turbo. So it really depends on what you want out of the set up that is most crucial instead.

Just to deviate a little, due to a friend of mine changing cars, I have the following for sale (what a coincidence :p ):

A brand new Forced Performance RED turbo with the latest Anti surge intake cover (flow advancement port cover) for sale at just sgd$3.2k. Direct bolt on for CT9A evos. Just one unit available. Pls contact me at 9674 1075 to deal. Both items are completely brand new & selling at a cheaper price already. Thanks.

evokch

Lmodel said:
evokch said:
Gurus

The Green is one of the earliest version of turbos and I'm sure there are many Evo VIIIs and IXs still running this turbo.

From what I read, peak boost for Black n the Red doesnt seem to differ much from the graphs so response for both should be about the same. However, Black maintains a better pull at the top end compared to the Red. Henceforth, there are many looking to upgrade their Red to the Black in the US.

From records, the Black can easily attain 500hp on crank and of course, some other mods do play a part as well. For the red, it is still possible to attain 480hp on crank albeit more need to be done.

Cheers

Thanks gurus! :D

Between the Red and Green, which is the better and (perhaps) more reliable one for a power setup of 480 hp on crank?

This setup will be for daily driving and the aim is not to have too much lag. Drivability is my main concern. :wink:

Lmodel

evokch said:

Between the Red and Green, which is the better and (perhaps) more reliable one for a power setup of 480 hp on crank?

This setup will be for daily driving and the aim is not to have too much lag. Drivability is my main concern. :wink:
No gurus here but just sharing our limited knowledge.

FP is in the market for a long time while CBRD is new. They have their fair share of supporters though FP has proven track record while CBRD is relatively new. Unless you are a FP fan or would prefer a proven track records, I'd recommend that you get the CBRD over the FP Red.

From records, spooling for the Black and the Red does not differ much (thus not much lag) so you may still like to go for the Black over the Red.

For the Green, it is hard to go beyond 400 hp even with mods like cams. Nonetheless, it is still a reliable and proven turbo and is cheap to get for a used one (if you are budget constraint).

evokch

Lmodel said:
evokch said:

No gurus here but just sharing our limited knowledge.

FP is in the market for a long time while CBRD is new. They have their fair share of supporters though FP has proven track record while CBRD is relatively new. Unless you are a FP fan or would prefer a proven track records, I'd recommend that you get the CBRD over the FP Red.

From records, spooling for the Black and the Red does not differ much (thus not much lag) so you may still like to go for the Black over the Red.

For the Green, it is hard to go beyond 400 hp even with mods like cams. Nonetheless, it is still a reliable and proven turbo and is cheap to get for a used one (if you are budget constraint).

Thanks Lmodel. Anyone who knows more than me is a guru! :D

Any other things to consider, besides the lag difference, as between the Red and Black?

Lmodel

evokch said:

Any other things to consider, besides the lag difference, as between the Red and Black?
If you are going for a new FP turbo, get the Black.

You will probably need a bigger radiator, higher capacity oil pump, at least a twin clutch plate and most importantly, a good tuner.

evokch

Lmodel said:
evokch said:

If you are going for a new FP turbo, get the Black.

You will probably need a bigger radiator, higher capacity oil pump, at least a twin clutch plate and most importantly, a good tuner.
Thanks Lmodel! :eek: Helpful!

FP manufacturers have indicated the following guides for:

FP Red -

"The FP Red turbocharger for the EVOIX is the only stock format turbo capable of delivering 550+whp with some examples recording over 600whp. Typical installations of this turbo result in mid to upper 400's on pump gas and mid to upper 500's on race gas depending on ambient temperature and related mods to the car in question. Typical boost threshold is about 3700RPM with some cars spooling up slower or faster depending on camshaft selection and other variables. The turbocharger should be operated at 22-24psi on pump gas and about 30-35psi spike dropping to 25-27psi by redline in race gas applications.

FP Black -

"The FP BLACK&trade for the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 4-9 is the most fully evolved stock appearing variant we offer. It features an 82mm HTA&trade compressor wheel with a flow rate of 68lb/min with our 84mm Flow Advancement Port&trade compressor cover. The turbine side features a large 67mm turbine wheel.

The turbo comes standard with a 25psi wastegate actuator and our Evo Oil Filter Housing Line Kit. You may select a lower pressure actuator if needed, but the unit is intended to operate above 25psi of boost pressure. This turbocharger will produce 500-600whp results readily on well prepared engines."

I am quite confused over the numbers and the technical bits! :oops: :?

If I am looking at a setup of 480 hp on crank, together with other mods e.g. camshaft, bigger radiator, intercooler, boost controller etc, is FP Red or Black more suitable in terms of drivability, less turbo lag or perhaps faster spooling? :D :)

im currently on fp green. hitting 420hp on rhommmels dyno boosting 1.6bar... without any cams... just fuel pump, injectors, intercooler, manifold, downpipe...

evokch

feimax said:
im currently on fp green. hitting 420hp on rhommmels dyno boosting 1.6bar... without any cams... just fuel pump, injectors, intercooler, manifold, downpipe...
Wow, seems to be another case of success on a FP! :alien: :D

Any turbo lag or spooling issue on your setup?

Nope spools good... minimal lag noticed... What I've heard is that if I were to boost safely 1.8 to 2bar I would have to change my gasket to something aftermarket like tomei or cosworth...

Oh and one more thing I'm on the old fp green... There is a new version which is called hta fp green tat would have significance different to the old one...

Kiadaw

blitzRS said:
Hi,

I have to agree with Lmodel, for street, the occasional drag & track duties, the CBRD BBK seems to be one of the best options available in the market now. Fast spool, linear delivery across the curve & great (to me that is) figures attained for both power & torque from a direct bolt on turbo. It's a well balanced turbo. But if you are a FP fan then I would recommend the RED over the black, as for a daily driver, I'm not too sure if you can live with the slower spool up for the black as it is touted more to be a drag strip turbo than a high powered bolt on turbo. So it really depends on what you want out of the set up that is most crucial instead.
Hi bro, you know the response of CRRB BBK compared to stock? Damn you guys make me itchy to mod... :evil:

CAn get at least 50 more horse from the upgrade. Any intercooler recommended to fit with it, or just the turbo will do (for 50hp gain)

I am on almost stock car (just exhaust & tune done only).

evokch

feimax said:
Oh and one more thing I'm on the old fp green... There is a new version which is called hta fp green tat would have significance different to the old one...
Thanks dude.

Yup, have heard for a long time that FP turbos (esp. Green and Red) are reliable and not too costly to upgrade to. :D

On the other hand, there have been rumours that FP turbos are made in Taiwan (and supposedly, therefore of an inferior quality). How true is that (i.e. made in Taiwan) I wonder... :?: