Evo X Transfer case Free play

jasonny

Collected my Evo X yday, notice there's a loud "clank" from underneath the car only during initial move off, slow speed, gear 1-2 n turning. Went to my trusty mech hoisted the car n realize the sound came from the shaft connected to the transfer case n rear diff (free play). Mech say it is normal n inevitable for all Evo after certain mileage (70,000km) told me to leave with the sound. Just wanna get 2nd opinion if anyone encounter the same situation n if so what's the best cheapest remedy for this problem.

Many thanks

dvp

jasonny said:
Collected my Evo X yday, notice there's a loud "clank" from underneath the car only during initial move off, slow speed, gear 1-2 n turning. Went to my trusty mech hoisted the car n realize the sound came from the shaft connected to the transfer case n rear diff (free play). Mech say it is normal n inevitable for all Evo after certain mileage (70,000km) told me to leave with the sound. Just wanna get 2nd opinion if anyone encounter the same situation n if so what's the best cheapest remedy for this problem.

Many thanks
you could either mask the problem by using thicker oil or take apart the transfer case & change only the affected internal gears

i can provide u with the part numbers n diagram once u have taken apart the housing

jasonny

dvp said:
jasonny said:

Many thanks
you could either mask the problem by using thicker oil or take apart the transfer case & change only the affected internal gears

i can provide u with the part numbers n diagram once u have taken apart the housing
Thanks for the prompt response, U have a ballpark figure how much is it gonna cost assuming I need to change the internal gears?

jasonny

This morning went to 2 performance car workshop, both diagnose to be either LCD or differential problem and repair easily few thousands. Sigh, anyone encounter the same problem as me? care to share?

dvp

jasonny said:
This morning went to 2 performance car workshop, both diagnose to be either LCD or differential problem and repair easily few thousands. Sigh, anyone encounter the same problem as me? care to share?
Careful where u go, dun ever step into the famous carrot cake shop & get chopped upsoze down....
Uber Garage has a spare front diff from a half cut for sale. Let me know if u are keen & i'll ask the boss for u
Please note SST & GSR uses different differential
They have both for sale

Mave7221

jasonny said:
I had the same problem for more than a year after I installed my cams and my car wasn't tuned properly.
Step or let go accelerator thud sound . Slowing down at humps or traffic light clink clank clink clank . Coming from free play of rear diff and front diff / transfer case . Went to Uber , GR , Applied Performance to drive my car . All said must take out rear / front diff and transfer case then they will know any damaged or excessive wear on the gears .

Changed rear diff bushing to AMS solid ones. Didn't work at all .
Changed propeller shaft bushing to Beatrush solid ones . Didn't work at all .
Change rear diff and transfer case oil to Redline Heavy ShockProof Gear Oil . Improved a little bit . Prevents getting louder .

Good friend offered to set my EVC 5's throttle position offset boost levels . Free play clink clang clink clang GONE !!! Thud when lifting off and flooring accelerator much better but still there .

Last Sat took out both drive shalfs to change grease and clips . A little improvement .

Seems only way is to open up the diffs to investigate or live with it until it breaks then change new ones . I also fear it would be in thousands of dollars .

Dear DOM ,

how much will it cost to replace the "Pineapple" gears in the rear diff and transfer case ?

dvp

Hey Mave, u r much luckier than the TS...at least for u there is individual parts for the rear diff. For the front there is only a single part number!!! Hahahahaha

Anyway TS decided not to buy the BLUE GSR in the resale market becus it has a FAULTY FRONT DIFF & the dealer is not willing to lower the price or replace the front diff.
To anyone looking for a BLUE GSR please take note of the faulty front diff, dun buy a lemon

hyde81

dvp said:
Hey Mave, u r much luckier than the TS...at least for u there is individual parts for the rear diff. For the front there is only a single part number!!! Hahahahaha

Anyway TS decided not to buy the BLUE GSR in the resale market becus it has a FAULTY FRONT DIFF & the dealer is not willing to lower the price or replace the front diff.
To anyone looking for a BLUE GSR please take note of the faulty front diff, dun buy a lemon
Tot TS already collected ride then still can back out of the deal? Which dealer so nice?

dvp

hyde81 said:
dvp said:

Tot TS already collected ride then still can back out of the deal? Which dealer so nice?[/

Mayb deposit placed is refundable la

hyde81

dvp said:
hyde81 said:
dvp said:

Tot TS already collected ride then still can back out of the deal? Which dealer so nice?[/

Mayb deposit placed is refundable la
Chey I'm wondering got dealer so steady meh

Mave7221

dvp said:

Ermm...... My Front also got sound leh . Not sure front diff or transfer case . Not as loud as rear though .

But at least I know SST is ok .

Only 1 part number for the front means hum jin bang already . Will live with it until kana TOTO Group 2 at least or it break into pieces.

dvp

Mave7221 said:
dvp said:

Ermm...... My Front also got sound leh . Not sure front diff or transfer case . Not as loud as rear though .

But at least I know SST is ok .

Only 1 part number for the front means hum jin bang already . Will live with it until kana TOTO Group 2 at least or it break into pieces.
Uber has front transfer case i tink for sst n gsr
Plus rear transfer case
I will check with them
Tomro wen i m there