Evo X Transfer case Free play

Collected my Evo X yday, notice there's a loud "clank" from underneath the car only during initial move off, slow speed, gear 1-2 n turning. Went to my trusty mech hoisted the car n realize the sound came from the shaft connected to the transfer case n rear diff (free play). Mech say it is normal n inevitable for all Evo after certain mileage (70,000km) told me to leave with the sound. Just wanna get 2nd opinion if anyone encounter the same situation n if so what's the best cheapest remedy for this problem.

Many thanks

jasonny said:
Collected my Evo X yday, notice there's a loud "clank" from underneath the car only during initial move off, slow speed, gear 1-2 n turning. Went to my trusty mech hoisted the car n realize the sound came from the shaft connected to the transfer case n rear diff (free play). Mech say it is normal n inevitable for all Evo after certain mileage (70,000km) told me to leave with the sound. Just wanna get 2nd opinion if anyone encounter the same situation n if so what's the best cheapest remedy for this problem.

Many thanks
you could either mask the problem by using thicker oil or take apart the transfer case & change only the affected internal gears

i can provide u with the part numbers n diagram once u have taken apart the housing

dvp said:
jasonny said:

Many thanks
you could either mask the problem by using thicker oil or take apart the transfer case & change only the affected internal gears

i can provide u with the part numbers n diagram once u have taken apart the housing
Thanks for the prompt response, U have a ballpark figure how much is it gonna cost assuming I need to change the internal gears?

This morning went to 2 performance car workshop, both diagnose to be either LCD or differential problem and repair easily few thousands. Sigh, anyone encounter the same problem as me? care to share?

jasonny said:
This morning went to 2 performance car workshop, both diagnose to be either LCD or differential problem and repair easily few thousands. Sigh, anyone encounter the same problem as me? care to share?
Careful where u go, dun ever step into the famous carrot cake shop & get chopped upsoze down....
Uber Garage has a spare front diff from a half cut for sale. Let me know if u are keen & i'll ask the boss for u
Please note SST & GSR uses different differential
They have both for sale

Mave7221

jasonny said:
I had the same problem for more than a year after I installed my cams and my car wasn't tuned properly.
Step or let go accelerator thud sound . Slowing down at humps or traffic light clink clank clink clank . Coming from free play of rear diff and front diff / transfer case . Went to Uber , GR , Applied Performance to drive my car . All said must take out rear / front diff and transfer case then they will know any damaged or excessive wear on the gears .

Changed rear diff bushing to AMS solid ones. Didn't work at all .
Changed propeller shaft bushing to Beatrush solid ones . Didn't work at all .
Change rear diff and transfer case oil to Redline Heavy ShockProof Gear Oil . Improved a little bit . Prevents getting louder .

Good friend offered to set my EVC 5's throttle position offset boost levels . Free play clink clang clink clang GONE !!! Thud when lifting off and flooring accelerator much better but still there .

Last Sat took out both drive shalfs to change grease and clips . A little improvement .

Seems only way is to open up the diffs to investigate or live with it until it breaks then change new ones . I also fear it would be in thousands of dollars .

Dear DOM ,

how much will it cost to replace the "Pineapple" gears in the rear diff and transfer case ?

dvp

Hey Mave, u r much luckier than the TS...at least for u there is individual parts for the rear diff. For the front there is only a single part number!!! Hahahahaha

Anyway TS decided not to buy the BLUE GSR in the resale market becus it has a FAULTY FRONT DIFF & the dealer is not willing to lower the price or replace the front diff.
To anyone looking for a BLUE GSR please take note of the faulty front diff, dun buy a lemon

dvp said:
Hey Mave, u r much luckier than the TS...at least for u there is individual parts for the rear diff. For the front there is only a single part number!!! Hahahahaha

Anyway TS decided not to buy the BLUE GSR in the resale market becus it has a FAULTY FRONT DIFF & the dealer is not willing to lower the price or replace the front diff.
To anyone looking for a BLUE GSR please take note of the faulty front diff, dun buy a lemon
Tot TS already collected ride then still can back out of the deal? Which dealer so nice?

dvp

hyde81 said:
dvp said:

Tot TS already collected ride then still can back out of the deal? Which dealer so nice?[/

Mayb deposit placed is refundable la

dvp said:
hyde81 said:
dvp said:

Tot TS already collected ride then still can back out of the deal? Which dealer so nice?[/

Mayb deposit placed is refundable la
Chey I'm wondering got dealer so steady meh

Mave7221

dvp said:

Ermm...... My Front also got sound leh . Not sure front diff or transfer case . Not as loud as rear though .

But at least I know SST is ok .

Only 1 part number for the front means hum jin bang already . Will live with it until kana TOTO Group 2 at least or it break into pieces.

Mave7221 said:
dvp said:

Ermm...... My Front also got sound leh . Not sure front diff or transfer case . Not as loud as rear though .

But at least I know SST is ok .

Only 1 part number for the front means hum jin bang already . Will live with it until kana TOTO Group 2 at least or it break into pieces.
Uber has front transfer case i tink for sst n gsr
Plus rear transfer case
I will check with them
Tomro wen i m there