EVO X - Sale Take Up & Opinions

hi, guys:

As I am planning to either phase out my existing EK4 or retaining it (as I have spent quite a bomb) or taking up a EVO X, I am just wondering someone can enlighten me on my following doubts:

Q1.
I have read lotta car magazines (Foreign Mandarin & English), the review and feedback is 4B11 is not as fast as EVO IX in terms of straight line drag of 0-100M and 0-400M as the increase in torque is not "sufficient" to offset the increase of weight of around 100KG. Though I am also aware of the better ride quality, cabin ambience, spaciousness, body rigidity, etc.

Is that true? I really do not want to buy a car which is "slower" than the previous model(s).

Q2.
Honestly, how is the sale of EVO X as I do not see too many on the road? I have seen many FD2-Civic Type R though. But I am trying to pick up a turbo car.

Q3.
How is EVO X versus 4-door M3 in terms of 0-100M as the specification says EVO X's 0-100M is 4.9s and others mentioned 5.0s, etc?

Thank for your time and advices.

Cheers.
vtecisit

Strangezz

Q1: Most reviews/tests have put the E10 slower than E9 in straight line but this was using the 5spd Manual. I believe the SST is supposed to be faster than the 5spd manual in a straight but so far due to tech issues with the gearbox, there haven't been any problem free tests done to my knowledge. Honestly, the E10 engine is new but when the parts start coming out for the car, this problem should be overcome. Should note that the E7 was also "slower" than the E6 down the straight when released.

Q2: I think most ppl thinking of buying the E10 could be waiting for the problem-free SST to be sold. I could be wrong though.

Q3: Stock car 0-100 should be more or less the same but got 1 more thing to consider: E10 costs ard 120-150k depending on where you go, 4-door M3 should cost around 300+k. With that extra 150k, can mod until tear the M3! :D

DoggieHowser

Staff member
I have read lotta car magazines (Foreign Mandarin & English), the review and feedback is 4B11 is not as fast as EVO IX in terms of straight line drag of 0-100M and 0-400M as the increase in torque is not "sufficient" to offset the increase of weight of around 100KG. Though I am also aware of the better ride quality, cabin ambience, spaciousness, body rigidity, etc.

Is that true? I really do not want to buy a car which is "slower" than the previous model(s).

In a straight line, I think the heavier chassis on the new X will lose out to the older CT9A. But on a track, depending on the type of track, the new SAWC system seems to have been upgraded a lot. And if you are planning to mod anyway, the heavier stiffer chassis can take more power without becoming twitchy. That has always been an issue for the old CT9A. It was able to handle more power than the older CP9A before it, but compared to the newer more rigid chassis on the X, I'd place my money on the X being able to stay in control as you up the power.

But unless you are Vin Diesel, most of us don't live our lives one quarter mile at a time :)

Honestly, how is the sale of EVO X as I do not see too many on the road? I have seen many FD2-Civic Type R though. But I am trying to pick up a turbo car.

The Type R has been out much longer. The Xs.. well, I suspect a lot has to do with the fact that most people are waiting for the SST to be out before making a decision.

How is EVO X versus 4-door M3 in terms of 0-100M as the specification says EVO X's 0-100M is 4.9s and others mentioned 5.0s, etc?

Depends on driver and conditions. Again, some simple mods would show a big improvement on the Evo as it is turbocharged.

The new E90 4-door M3 is no slouch though. It does have a V8 with 414bhp inside. And it is well balanced. It is however, also over 300k, which is more than twice the price of an Evo X!

ghoonk

Somehow, I think the point of any performance car is lost on anyone who thinks that 0 to 100kmph / 0 to 400m is everything about a car. I usually discourage people from buying such cars, in the hope that they do not sia suay the marque. I can think other marques with really high revving engines that would appeal more to people of such 'taste' :lol:

Strangezz

ghoonk said:
Somehow, I think the point of any performance car is lost on anyone who thinks that 0 to 100kmph / 0 to 400m is everything about a car. I usually discourage people from buying such cars, in the hope that they do not sia suay the marque. I can think other marques with really high revving engines that would appeal more to people of such 'taste' :lol:
Well, to each his own. Just because someone looks at straight line timing doesnt mean that they do not appreciate an evo nor does it mean that they will sia suay the marque. So does that mean ppl who do up their evos to do 1/4 mile drag racing are putting the car to shame? :D

It's a judgement call. AWD drivetrains are good for many applications, including drag racing (since they can launch hard with no wheelspin). So those who look at 1/4 mi. times are not wrong.

And, sure it can be used for road racing. It's got all the handling gizmos and is a well-balanced, stiff chassis. Could do without the weight though (but who am I to complain - I'm heavy too! :D )

If you really look at what the car is "intended" for (based on the history of the model and what inspired it), I guess rallying is what fits the best. But what % of Evo owners really take their cars onto gravel/dirt?

So it's purely a matter of personal taste which performance parameter appeals to the particular enthusiast.