Differences between RS, GT and GSR

DoggieHowser

Staff member
JDM only discussion
(feel free to add US and UK specs to this discussion)

Traditionally, Mitsubishi produces two variants for each generation of Evos.

1. A racing spec, stripped down, lightweight version called the RS
2. A full spec, road-going version called the GSR

RS models
There are usually limited quantities of RS units produced and these are traditionally snapped up by racing teams/development houses/tuners/garages.

You can usually tell the RS models apart because RS only comes in white with black door handles as well as black side mirrors.

Traditionally, you only get
  • 15" steel wheels,
  • basic 2 pot front/1 pot rear brakes,
  • non Recaro seats,
  • standard shocks
  • no air conditioning,
  • standard halogen (not Xenon) headlights
  • no electrically adjusted side mirrors,
  • no electrically retractable side mirrors,
  • no power windows,
  • no rear windscreen wipers,
  • no passenger side sun-visor
  • lightweight stripped out, very little soundproofing
  • centre console only has single DIN space for head unit
  • 50l fuel tanks
  • no SAYC, but uses 1.5 way mechanical LSD
  • no ABS

The rationale is that you either don't need the frills (aircon, power windows/mirrors etc) in favour of weight savings, or you are going to swap them out for racing spec equipment from third party manufacturers (like body hugging bucket seats, 6 pot/4 pot brakes etc). In the past, the RS models also used a less sporty steering wheel.

For the 9RS, Mitsubishi has retained the ACD, but loses the SAYC2, in favour of a tougher LSD. From 8th generation onwards, the GSR uses a 6 speed gearbox, while the RS retains the 5 speed gearbox.

Standard on the 9 RS is the new magnesium titanium turbo. The mag-titanium turbo is also standard for the GT but is only an option for the GSR, which comes standard with the titanium turbo.

If you can get a direct order from Mitsubishi, the 9RS offers a whole bunch of options so you can customize the RS exactly to your requirements, including adding SAYC2, Brembos, Sports ABS, power windows/mirrors, airconditioning, etc, but to be honest, after factoring in the cost of all these options, you might as well get the GSR model.

GSR Models
The GSR is more like the full blown road-going version of the Evo.

So for the 9th generation, that means you get

• new lightweight 17" Enkei rims, with optional lighter BBS rims, shod with Advan A046 235/45 tyres
  • Brembo 4 pot front/2 pot rear brakes,
  • Recaro seats with leather/alcantara trim,
  • Bilstein shocks
  • climate control air conditioning,
  • Xenon headlights with integrated foglights
  • electrically adjusted side mirrors,
  • electrically retractable side mirrors,
  • power windows,
  • rear windscreen wipers,
  • passenger side sun-visor
  • better soundproofing (than even the MR)
  • centre console has 2DIN space for head unit
  • 55l fuel tanks
  • SAYC2
  • Sports ABS

GT Models
The GT model is quite unique to the 9th generation. The GT is basically an RS (5 speed gearbox, no SAYC) that has been spec-ced up to include some of the additional features of the GSR.

Traditionally, there have been some RSII model specs but they were not universally available.

The GT is more like a compromise between the RS and the GSR which has become far more "luxurious" with better soundproofing, leather trim seats etc.

The GT also provides a good platform for Group N rally homologation, so you can in theory, drive the GT out of the showroom and straight into a Group N rally ;) though I'd probably advice getting steel braided brake lines, and better brake pads first.

• new lightweight 17" Enkei rims, shod with Advan A046D 235/45 tyres (different compound from the GSR models)
  • Brembo 4 pot front/2 pot rear brakes,
  • Recaro seats with alcantara trim,
  • Bilstein shocks
  • climate control air conditioning,
  • Xenon headlights with integrated foglights
  • electrically adjusted side mirrors,
  • electrically retractable side mirrors,
  • power windows,
  • NO REAR windscreen wipers,
  • passenger side sun-visor
  • basic soundproofing
  • centre console has 2DIN space for head unit
  • 55l fuel tanks
  • No SAYC2 but uses 1.5 way mechanical LSD
  • Sports ABS

I may have missed some parts out, so feel free to add on and I'll continue to edit this list to make it current.

Privateer

For the RS, side mirrors are also unpainted (black).

GT section should be amended to read "does not come with REAR windshield wiper". Comes with magnesium-aluminium turbo as standard equipment.

GSR titanium-aluminum turbo as standard.

:roll: just 2 add....

if i'm not wrong..... GT models does not have Discharge Headlamps (w optical adjustment mechanism) & front Foglights that GSR models have...... :wink:

Pardon me sir, but what's mechanical cable type LSD?
U mean mechanical (helical) or clutch (plate) type?

Cheers
Dennis

deanlim said:
:mrgreen: forgot to add ...

GT models have Rear 1.5 way mechanical cable type LSD (while GSR have SAYC).....

DoggieHowser

Staff member
deanlim said:
:roll: just 2 add....

if i'm not wrong..... GT models does not have Discharge Headlamps (w optical adjustment mechanism) & front Foglights that GSR models have...... :wink:
I am pretty sure the JDM GT has HID standard. Did CnC remove the HIDs along with the Bilsteins?

Thanks for the clarification on the LSD vs SAYC issue :)

BakZamGai said:
Pardon me sir, but what's mechanical cable type LSD?
U mean mechanical (helical) or clutch (plate) type?

Cheers
Dennis
:roll: i'm ashame to say that i'm not that familiar with LSD stuff, cos i just quote what is stated on the brochue..... furthermore.... i dun own a evo :oops: :oops: hence cannot comment much..... :mrgreen:

:roll: the the evo gurus here come give some comments on the types of LSD used......

DoggieHowser said:
I am pretty sure the JDM GT has HID standard. Did CnC remove the HIDs along with the Bilsteins?

:roll: not quite sure abt it.... cos i just quote what's stated in the japan specs...... :mrgreen: maybe evo IX bros who bought the GT models from C & C can comment on these...... :mrgreen:

DoggieHowser

Staff member
Am pretty sure 9GT has HIDs as standard based on the official Japanese website.

Seen quite a number liao locally.

9GT standard also has Bilsteins, but if you can order directly from the factory in Japan (before production run ended), you can order them to custom remove the Bilstein for the standard E8 shocks, also used in the RS trim.

DoggieHowser said:

9GT standard also has Bilsteins, but if you can order directly from the factory in Japan (before production run ended), you can order them to custom remove the Bilstein for the standard E8 shocks, also used in the RS trim.
JDM 9GT HID and foglight are optional eqiupment. You're right, Bilstein can opt out.

Add: Only JDM 9GSR have sunroof option.

bro the GT tank only 50 litres not 55

Beancurd said:
DoggieHowser said:

JDM 9GT HID and foglight are optional eqiupment. You're right, Bilstein can opt out.

Add: Only JDM 9GSR have sunroof option.

deanlim said:
DoggieHowser said:

:roll: not quite sure abt it.... cos i just quote what's stated in the japan specs...... :mrgreen: maybe evo IX bros who bought the GT models from C & C can comment on these...... :mrgreen:
E9 GT has HID as well as optical adjustable lens as standard.
E9 GT has Bilstein suspension as standard.
E9 GT also has the highest torque among all E9s :lol:

ghoonk

Looking back at this thread, it's probably worth adding that the GT and RS have 5-speed gearboxes, while the GSR has the 6-speed one.

Not sure about the gear rations, so perhaps someone here can post the confirmed gear ratios for:

Evo VII GSR 5-speed
Evo VIII (RS?) 5-speed
Evo VIII GSR 6-speed
Evo VIII MR RS 5-speed
Evo VIII MR 6-speed
Evo XI RS 5-speed
Evo IX GT 5-speed
Evo IX GSR 6-speed
Evo IX MR GSR 5-speed
Evo IX RS 5-speed