changing times....E10 SST

j-sho

Hellloooo...would appreciate if any bros out there who had gone from wrx/sti to e10 sst share their two cents on this journey so far? I have driven my fren e10 gsr manual before and it doesnt give me that G-force punch..then again probably it is stock. But in terms of stability, it is amazing...very sturdy ride under extreme speeds >180kmh...high end speeds...it is just raring to go when u keep stepping the accel....just wondering how a SST would fare?

my current ride is a 2.0 sti but having thoughts on switching camps to a SST..why SST because very sick of stick shift already as well as family can use whenever im not around.

Thanks!

Haha!

Well, IMHO, the SST felt quicker and pulled more readily to redline. However, it was quite boring to drive due to it being an automatic. A manual box would have been a lot more involving and exciting to drive.

The SST had fantastic handling straight out of the box though, with all its electronic wizardry. Just point where you wanna go, floor it. The STi was a lot more involving to drive and required a lot more driver input.

Fuel economy tips the scale in the STi's favour - I was averaging 8km/l on the SST while I used to get 10km/l on the STi, driving in similar traffic conditions. The E10's fuel tank is also very tiny (45L to reserve), so I found myself at the petrol kiosk quite often.

Just my personal opinion, if you still wanna track/spirited drives, stick with the manual transmission. It may not be the easiest, or the fastest shift, but it's a lot more exciting and rewarding. But that's just how I feel la...

kik

From the Gc, bugy, cockeye, to my hippo hatch...scoobys have me well but they nvr advanced tech wise. For me its easy to compare the SST to a Subie. (i dumped the 5speed Spec B doppler box into my car). Power wise its easy to draw power from an Evo as compared to a STI. I drive mostly using my paddles than anything, feel wise , the Evo has more edge as handling is so balanced. I gave up on ever getting my hatch balanced. (KW v3 and all the damn bars from cusco could not save it).
The best Subaru ever made was the 98 GC,. With the emergence of the GDB(2001) till now it would have made sense for FHI to bring new tech into play, but instead, there is not much diff between the GRB(minimum changes) and the GDB besides the shell. it was like ok lets make a hatch to make the car handle better plus improve a few things. All their new tech went into the new LGT. So thats why im looking forward to the next STI, not the current one.
The big plus is that the SST allows you to go lazy full auto when in Singapore and full shift on track. On track, mildly modded SST E10's are posting times that easily eclipse a heavily modded Subarus. This is the first car (sorry GTi boys) that allows the owner to have the best of both worlds on a dependable box.

We have to remember we drive in SG, when there is a jam, half clutch.....clutch.....clutch. Also, i see that soon manual boxes are their way out. Its simple evolution, would you go for a LCD TV or the old projector ones.

Agreed. My personal favorite was also my old V5 GC8. Also agree on what kik said about the Evo's power, track capabilities, handling, etc. However, from a purely personal point of view, being an auto detracted from the experience.

Even though the SST obviously shifts quicker than my left hand/foot could, I just really missed the sensation of banging through the gears, heel-toeing. With the SST, it was more like, "oh here we are, brake, tap tap tap. " I'm not saying SST is crap, it's not. It was just more boring to me ;)

j-sho

very valuable inputs bros...appreciate it very much....

i guess i have to test drive the SST to find out myself...i have no doubts about the e10 having drove the manual version..handling and stability wise...it is one notch above the STI.

im still leaving my options open here....having tots on going for e9 too...hehehehhe....still love the menacing looks of a Nine.... 8) 8) 8)

I think at the end of the day, it's entirely up to your own perspective, objectives and set of circumstances :)

My experience probably is not indicative of the usual E10 SST owner, as my circumstances are a little different. I had bought the E10 with the intention to track. However, I found out my wife was pregnant 5minutes after I signed the sales agreement and paid a deposit. My perspectives changed considerably over the year following, from pregnancy to child birth and now, father of a 5 month old boy.

I kept the E10 relatively stock in order to keep the car comfortable for infant-transport. Over the year, I had to hold back, on a number of occasions, from modding the car. At the same time, I also found myself driving slower and safer. It got to the point where the car became nothing more than a mode of transport from A-B. My daily commute from home-office-home is always during peak hours. On weekends, if I went out, it is usually with my wife, baby and domestic helper. So basically, the E10 hardly ever saw action above 2500rpm.

It reached a point where I asked myself if I would be better off driving a normal automatic (my wife only has an automatic licence) car with more boot space, a more comfortable interior, better fuel economy, cheaper insurance. In any case, these days, my wife uses the car more than I do, as parking where I work is way too expensive.

Hence for me, it was quite a no-brainer to sell it and buy a 325i instead.

A more objective comparison in my opinion however, as my colleague with an 06 STi just went overseas so I'm driving his car at the moment, thus I can make a back-to-back comparison,

Power delivery - STi (less linear, more explosive and in-your-face, even though SST is actually quicker)
Power - SST (so easy to squeeze horses out of the 4B11)
Gearshifts - STi (you know where I stand re: manual vs SST)
Fuel economy - STi (8kml vs 10kml)
Boot/interior space - STi
Maintenance - STi (SST oil change will cost approx $1k)
Handling - SST (electronics are amazing)
Driving experience - STi (no electronics to assist, more driver input required)
Braking - No difference on the road, can't comment on track as I haven't tracked the SST.
Seat comfort - Same

j-sho

wah bro 5 mins after signing...:)...must be feeling elated with the new kid and new toy...:)

anyway thanks for your feedback....i still have time to ponder and no rush to sell my car yet..duno if can sell anot..now market so quiet...haizzz

panaracer

hmmm........ feel so comforted after reading all these inputs by seasoned owners of e SST. luckily i jus buy e SST, n do some mild touch up..... hee....... shiok leh! but being reduced to a bit more idiotic driver handling, cos e car do e job 4 me. n did tested w some cars on e roads........ :)

another happy owner here!

My gripe is the throttle lag in normal mode. When driving for daily use, i don't get much chance to use the power. And the throttle lag of the SST makes it rather a chore to drive it. Let's put it this way, i'd rather be hopping onto my little Colt to swing around the nearest MRT to pick up the spouse as opposed to actually looking forward to getting the mean and heavy breathing Evo out for that quick spin.

On the track and up north....now that is a different story. :lol:

j-sho

panaracer said:
hmmm........ feel so comforted after reading all these inputs by seasoned owners of e SST. luckily i jus buy e SST, n do some mild touch up..... hee....... shiok leh! but being reduced to a bit more idiotic driver handling, cos e car do e job 4 me. n did tested w some cars on e roads........ :)

familiar nick?....mmmmmmm

panaracer

j-sho said:
panaracer said:

familiar nick?....mmmmmmm
Yup! From shc forums. I still remember yr shc avartar s an ek9 :)

kik

A73shy said:
My gripe is the throttle lag in normal mode. When driving for daily use, i don't get much chance to use the power. And the throttle lag of the SST makes it rather a chore to drive it. Let's put it this way, i'd rather be hopping onto my little Colt to swing around the nearest MRT to pick up the spouse as opposed to actually looking forward to getting the mean and heavy breathing Evo out for that quick spin.

Bro whats your setup? After some scratching....got rid of the lag

kik said:
A73shy said:

Bro whats your setup? After some scratching....got rid of the lag
Just an exhaust and air intake. Waiting for my tune to come in.... but its a bit complicated, hope it will eventually work.
What did you do? Where did you scratch? hehe.

kik

You should tune bro, acutally in the US when you buy an intake for an EVO. It comes with a sticker. "ECU remapping is needed for optimum performance", " do not install if no ECU tuning is done rightafter"

familiar nick, I was previously seeking your reviews for JIC FLT Tar to comments for the SST :D

Am surprised to hear the SST gives better FC than STI? As for interior, I took a glance at one at my working place, tot the cabin space is much better than Scooby? Seems to me SST gives better leg room at the back seat :roll: Last but not least, EvoX seat is so much better than our STI :cry:

Any bros care to share their views for SST box against DSGs?

scoobysix said:
I think at the end of the day, it's entirely up to your own perspective, objectives and set of circumstances :)

My experience probably is not indicative of the usual E10 SST owner, as my circumstances are a little different. I had bought the E10 with the intention to track. However, I found out my wife was pregnant 5minutes after I signed the sales agreement and paid a deposit. My perspectives changed considerably over the year following, from pregnancy to child birth and now, father of a 5 month old boy.

I kept the E10 relatively stock in order to keep the car comfortable for infant-transport. Over the year, I had to hold back, on a number of occasions, from modding the car. At the same time, I also found myself driving slower and safer. It got to the point where the car became nothing more than a mode of transport from A-B. My daily commute from home-office-home is always during peak hours. On weekends, if I went out, it is usually with my wife, baby and domestic helper. So basically, the E10 hardly ever saw action above 2500rpm.

It reached a point where I asked myself if I would be better off driving a normal automatic (my wife only has an automatic licence) car with more boot space, a more comfortable interior, better fuel economy, cheaper insurance. In any case, these days, my wife uses the car more than I do, as parking where I work is way too expensive.

A more objective comparison in my opinion however, as my colleague with an 06 STi just went overseas so I'm driving his car at the moment, thus I can make a back-to-back comparison,

Power delivery - STi (less linear, more explosive and in-your-face, even though SST is actually quicker)
Braking - No difference on the road, can't comment on track as I haven't tracked the SST.
Seat comfort - Same

Hi Snope,

Nice to see you here. It time to get an Evo.

snope said:
familiar nick, I was previously seeking your reviews for JIC FLT Tar to comments for the SST :D

Am surprised to hear the SST gives better FC than STI? As for interior, I took a glance at one at my working place, tot the cabin space is much better than Scooby? Seems to me SST gives better leg room at the back seat :roll: Last but not least, EvoX seat is so much better than our STI :cry:

Any bros care to share their views for SST box against DSGs?

scoobysix said:

Seat comfort - Same

Hi pal,

Nice to see you again, still driving your 9 or upgraded to 10? Been a long time since we last met at Imperial Concepts during my Altezza days :mrgreen:

Always been thinking of trying the SST/DSG box but maintenance costs will be my big concern :(

SUMITOYO said:
Hi Snope,

quote]

I am driving an E10 manual now. Didnt go for the SST E10 cos I am also having a Golf GT with DSG box.

snope said:
Hi pal,

Nice to see you again, still driving your 9 or upgraded to 10? Been a long time since we last met at Imperial Concepts during my Altezza days :mrgreen:

Always been thinking of trying the SST/DSG box but maintenance costs will be my big concern :(

SUMITOYO said:
Hi Snope,

quote]