AVCR or EVC

axl

I guess both shd perform largely the same? Best is if you have frens wif those 2 EBCs, then you can check out personally and see which interface/looks/function floats yr boat. :)

ejay20tee

2 cents.
I prefer EVC to AVCR for ease of use n tuning.
AVCR shows more parameters like RPM, SPEED, BOOST, INJECTOR DUTY.

EVC BOOST and only BOOST.
:D

axl

Yar... have the EVC IV myself; its functions suits me and I like the small footprint.

But the new EVC V looks quite chio also hor... :lol:

ejay20tee

axl said:
Yar... have the EVC IV myself; its functions suits me and I like the small footprint.

But the new EVC V looks quite chio also hor... :lol:
I am using the EVC 5...2 yrs ordi..still going strong...hahah.
I still like the EVc..easier to tune boost for dummies like me.

axl

Yar.. I'm a dummy too, hehe.

But tot the one we have shd be EVC IV? The ver V is new, just introduced right? ->

axl

Oh salah... this is EVC V as well:

Blur leow. Haha... shouldn't the new one wif the rotary knob be ver VI then? *blur*

DoggieHowser

Staff member
In terms of features, I gotta admit I am pretty impressed with the AVCR. the rpm based and gear based tuning provides much better control over boost settings (rather than a 1-sized fits all in most other boost controllers).

It does take a bit more effort to use, but you will be amply rewarded (cue: Kai to take this discussion to the next level)

For those who want to hold higher boost, I think Blitz's dual solenoid design probably holds better than the single design used in AVCR and EVC. Though with good tuning, you are often better off with lower boosts than high boosts than can over-stress the engine and system.

ejay20tee

EVC holds higher boost better.
Used to use avcr on my sti...anything above 1.3bar its flutuating.
But i found the gear based boost very handy at the tracks though.

SO AXL....5 or 6?
:?:

kai3323

Just to share, been running on the AVCR for the last couple of years, the thing will hold boost (stable) up to 1.7bar (never tried going any higher).

The common phenomena is the mismatch in duty cycle and boost/rpm set-up, causing the boost to flutter on load. This occurs quite frequently especially when boost is RPM based. This is complicated by the gear based boost cycle control......( forget about the self learn feature, its totally hopeless).

Like wat BK said, the AVCR is an ass to tune and setup, but once properly setup, it offers:

a) Quicker boost up = stronger mid range
The turbo can be 'tricked' to spool up much faster than conventional BC on a single fixed boost setting.

b) Gear based compensation,
The BC can compensate for higher load when running higher gearings.

Typical BC say tuned at say 1.4 bar on 3rd gear, would generate 1.4 bar boost consistently on that gear. Problem is on higher gear, the boost level actually increase with the higher engine load. So on the 5th/6th gear, the engine might be developing say 1.6bar boost!!.....so imagine the fueling requirements, if not properly mapped, can do to the engine.

c) Scramble boost mode
To run higher boost for a preset interval, useful on sepang straight!!:p
Yes, all these technologies were available since the turn of the century, if only the AVCR c/w the remote boost button on the profec B,...would have been perfect ...... feels like running nos!!

The downside is that:

a) LOOKS........it looks really CHEESY!!
b) Time!!.......u really must be very free and boliao!!

Hahahaha

BTW, hope this is not construed as a 'which is better' talk okie....:)

re,

tingtw said:
Me using EVC. The password function is great and the offset function can help you squeeze more juices from your turbine.
i just got my EVC fixed, however, the tuner cant tune because of this password function. My bud who sold this EVC to me is away for another 2-3mths :( and not contactable.. what can i do? i'm using his previous "A" setting which is 1.1 Bar, Setting "B" is 1.7Bar which will be too agressive for my Stock E8.. :(

Re: re,

mitvz said:
tingtw said:
Me using EVC. The password function is great and the offset function can help you squeeze more juices from your turbine.
i just got my EVC fixed, however, the tuner cant tune because of this password function. My bud who sold this EVC to me is away for another 2-3mths :( and not contactable.. what can i do? i'm using his previous "A" setting which is 1.1 Bar, Setting "B" is 1.7Bar which will be too agressive for my Stock E8.. :(
Think u should be able to reset the password.

Re: re,

LanEvo said:
mitvz said:
tingtw said:
Think u should be able to reset the password.
great!.. then does anyone knows how to reset or where or who can do this job? thks