Anyone knows the differences brakes for the evo?

Anyone know the size difference between the older Evo's and current X? rotor size and all?... can brakes from other cars be used with custom fittings?... have seen some porsche owners upgrading to larger brakes and the original brakes look much bigger the then Evo X... anyone tried with other bigger used brakes types and can they be modified to fit evo X?... when u change the front is it safe to assume that rears have to be replaced? I was told to ensure "proper balance" of braking power? (I thought rears only used by handbrake)

Looking for possible upgrade options instead for like full hard core brand new replacement....

Strangezz

helloderek said:
Looking for possible upgrade options instead for like full hard core brand new replacement....
Just my own opinion but i think there is always a risk involved with customization work. In the case of the brakes, it's probably something i would not want to take that sort of risk with.

To be honest, stock brembos with good pads, good brake fluid and a set of braided hoses will be enough for most usage unless your running some crazy horsepower figures or like to brake really really late on track. :D

After all, there are a few members here running mid to high 2:30s at Sepang on the brembos. :)

Bro,
The first few questions I can't answer you but....

When you hit on the brake pedal, All four disc brakes will work...(also known as electronic brake distrubution)
The hand brake will only activate the drum brake inside the rear disc rotors at the same time disengaging your central diffrential (while doing hand brake turns)...Cheers!

Daniel

viperdrv

Strangezz said:
helloderek said:
Just my own opinion but i think there is always a risk involved with customization work. In the case of the brakes, it's probably something i would not want to take that sort of risk with.

To be honest, stock brembos with good pads, good brake fluid and a set of braided hoses will be enough for most usage unless your running some crazy horsepower figures or like to brake really really late on track. :D

After all, there are a few members here running mid to high 2:30s at Sepang on the brembos. :)
True bro .. the newer evo brakes are better designed now .. no fade no warpage and can slow down the pig very well ..

Customise fitting of brakes is definately can be done. But you need a very skillful mechanic to do the job.

I remember an old fren of mine having an AMG 6 or 8 pots from an SL55 on his EVO6TM. Droolssss....

Strangezz

Stealth said:
Customise fitting of brakes is definately can be done. But you need a very skillful mechanic to do the job.
Very true. I had a fren overseas who custom fitted Porsche brakes on his E5 and they fell off. Luckily he was going slowly. :(

DoggieHowser

Staff member
Go read the FAQs at stoptech that strangezz linked to.

Installing big brakes is more than just making a secure fit and making sure nothing rubs.

There's a lot to the design to ensure a better braking system overall. Tests show that sometimes having a bigger rotor/caliper can change the bias of the braking and actually WORSEN the braking distance.

Your life is worth more than the money you saved hobbling together your brake kit.

IMHO.

Stealth said:

I remember an old fren of mine having an AMG 6 or 8 pots from an SL55 on his EVO6TM. Droolssss....
I remember that car :mrgreen:

I totally agree with the guys here. There are safety issues with customisation and you may be better off with the stock OE brakes. It is advisable to get kits that have been through proper R&D and are direct bolt-on. :D :D :D